Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Top Ten Black Cartoon Characters




10. Bobby Proud

Disney's The Proud Family had many characters to love but my all-time favorite from the show was the stuck in the 70s soul-singer Bobby Proud. Bobby Proud literally sings every word just to show off his talents. I certainly have my handful of family members who tries to sing at every occasion they can get. Bobby Proud is voiced by Cedric The Entertainer.



9. Lucius "Frozone" Best

Okay okay, Frozone is not necessarily a cartoon character but more of a 3D animated character but it is the same-difference, right? This super hero brother is as cool as ice and he doesn't melts in a heated situation (puns intended). You can catch Frozone in Disney Pixar's The Incredibles (One of my Top Ten Movies by the way). Oh Frozone is voiced by the one and only Samuel L. Jackson!



8. Carver Descartes

Carver is the best friend to Tino in Disney's Weekenders. Carver was just an average teen looking forward to the weekend. Why does he come into the #8 spot? His hair is awesome. Carver is voiced by Phil LaMarr.



7. Huey Freeman

The Boondocks. I don't think I need to say more, but I will. The fro is serious. Black revolutionary freedom fighter. Huey is voiced by Regina King. *Warning strong language.



6. Riley Freeman

Huey's little brother is Riley. Instead of the fro, he rocks cornrows. Instead of a freedom fighter, he is a young delinquent. Riley is also voiced by Regina King. *Warning language again. And this is the most tame video I can find of Riley Freeman.



5. Vince

Vince from Disney's Recess lands number 5. I just love this show. Vince was the best athlete in the entire school. Now before you pull the race/stereotype card, his big bro is the biggest geek in the entire universe, very Urkel-esque.  Vince was voiced by Rickey Collins. "Big Brother Chad" is my favorite Vince-themed episode.



4. Kaldur'ahm/Aqualad

This is one that is kinda iffy. I mean sure, Aqualad is clearly black but he is also like a fish or a mermaid or whatever a minion to Aquaman is. Either way, the leader of Young Justice stays focus under precious and has some glowing water powers that can deal some serious blows. Aqualad is voiced by Khary Payton.



3. Virgil Hawkins/Static Shock

This show was AWESOME! An original black super hero that wasn't corny. And when they brought the character back into Young Justice I totally nerd out! I really would like to see more of Static in other projects and perhaps maybe one day a movie. Static was originally voiced by Phil LaMarr. Trivia: Static best friend was Richie who was voiced by Jason Marsden. LaMarr and Marsden also team up for the best friend duo of Carver and Tino in the Weekenders. (I could totally do a top ten list of characters voiced by Phil LaMarr, he is a great voice actor! And he probably appeared in each of these shows that I listed)



2. Gerald Johanssen

You know Gerald Johanssen. He is the long-eraser head kid that is best friends with the football head kid. Nickelodeon's Hey Arnold! is a classic and Gerald was a standout character with his ridiculous hi-top fade. The Hair! The Voice! The Swag! Gerald is voiced by Jamil Walker Smith.



Honorable Mention: Mosquito "Skeeter" Valentine

That's right! Skeeter from Nickelodeon's Doug is a black man! Ok, I cannot prove that but as a kid I thought he was black. I mean Doug is the only person who is of normal melanin. Heck, Doug's parents are a orange tan. With that all being said this show clearly didn't want to focus on race being an issue. It is about a pre-adolescent's daily struggle of fitting in and who couldn't relate to that? Anyway, check out this video of Skeeter beat-boxing and dancing. Clearly a black man's hobby, lol jk. Skeeter is voiced by Fred Newman



1. Cornellius Fillmore

The underrated Disney series Fillmore! This bald-headed brother was funny, clever, smart, outstanding detective, loyal friend and a student at X Middle School. I'm trying to keep these descriptions short and it is certainly difficult. Fillmore was part of the Saturday morning lineup on ABC for  two seasons. Show was cancel and I don't know why. Wish they would bring this show back at least on YouTube; Disney had all the episodes taken down. So now all we are left with are obscure funny clips. Fillmore was voiced by Orlando Brown



Heck, I'll throw in another clip for ya!


And that is my list. Do you agree or who would you add to the list? Let me know in the comments below.





No comments:

Post a Comment