Sunday, July 28, 2013

"My God, We Were Corny Since The Beginning"


NGEN hosted the second week of their BOOMIN concert series in downtown Houston at Discovery Green. The second week of the concert series featured Reach Record's Andy Mineo and an energize opening act by Houston's own World Rejects.

The World Rejects got things started off around 7 p.m. I never heard or seen these guys before but I was hoping these were above average Christian Hip-Hop acts. Surprisingly, they engage the crowd, had the adrenaline going and leaving a great first impression on myself and many Houstonians.

To name all seven members of the World Rejects would be as difficult as naming all of the members of the Wu-Tang Clan. Heck, I now get members of World Rejects confused with Wu-Tang members with names like: Phyre Da Armageddon and Sketch BeatKaso.

Andy Mineo then came on the stage for his set and killed it. Forgive the sparing details but curious of what he did exactly? Check video below.



After the concert both World Rejects and Andy Mineo had a booth for fans to meet the artist and have memorabilia sign. Took a while for the line to get moving but once it started rolling the line moved at a comfortable pace.

As I eased up the line, I met a few folks and my excitement rose as we talk about the concert and other artist we enjoy. One of the guys that I met talked about what he was going to have Andy Mineo sign. But I didn't have any thing for them to sign and word made it to the back of the line that no pictures are allowed.

What am I going to say since words tend to come out of my mouth shyly? What am I going to do since I have nothing to offer... well this particular day I did have a couple of hundred bucks in my wallet but I tend to make a point not to spend money at a free concert.

Just my luck I happen to have my backpack which was carrying the first ever Christian Hip-Hop record ever. (OK it wasn't all luck since I did carefully premeditated this moment since the day before). Slightly rare, McSWEET Gospel Beat can be bought off Ebay or Discogs as a vinyl record but not on iTunes or any other internet music store.

Curiosity rose inside me to see this new generation, my generation, of Christian rappers take on this rare and historic record: Have they ever heard it? Have they ever seen the cover? And their overall initial thoughts.

The seven-member deep World Rejects and the New York native Andy Mineo, without a doubt at least one of them have heard about this treasured gem....

Well, none of them ever heard of McSWEET or his Gospel Beat. So they judge the book by its cover, well in this case they judge the record by the cover.

"Wow! What is this," one of the members from World Reject said.

I explain to all of the guys that this record was the first Christian rap record ever and that it was originally released in 1982.

"82?!?! That was the year I was born."

"Hey yo, look at this," one reject said to the other, "This is so cheesy."




Finally the record landed into the hands of Mineo who was sitting at the end of the booth. "What is this?" Mineo said in awe as he glazed his eyes over my treasured piece of Hip-Hop history. "McSWEET," he exclaimed, "Adam and Eve. The Gospel Beat."

I tried to explain to the guys that this was a legit old school disco-era Hip-Hop record. But judging their facial expressions, my words must have fallen like lies into their ears.

But I can't blame them for their reaction. Have you seen the cover of this record... Its terribly corny. I have to agree with the World Rejects it is cheesy. I do like the graffiti style art on the front cover but quickly drawn away by the bare nipple just staring me in the eye.


And the back cover doesn't get any better. McSWEET is wearing some sort of fig leaf 80s basketball uniform with what I'm guessing to be some type of Nike white and yellow shoe. I wasn't an 80s baby but I don't believe this ever passed off as cool.

Andy's final words about the record: "My God, we were corny since the beginning."



Yes, this is by far one of the worst covers I have ever seen. But, if you judge this book, excuse me I mean record, by its cover you will do yourself an injustice. Don't believe me? Take a listen for yourself and tell me what you think.


Update: Shortly after posting this story on Twitter, Andy Mineo replied back:




Thank you Andy Mineo for taking the time to listen to the record and replying back.

No comments:

Post a Comment